- Standards for Distance Learning Library Services
- This document was prepared by the ACRL Distance Learning Section.
It provides standards and guidelines for meeting the information needs
of distance students and faculty. Included in the document is the
assumption that academic libraries are responsible for information
literacy and bibliographic instruction to promote lifelong learning
skills. Library user instruction is deemed an essential service for
the distance learning community.
- Adult Learning and the Internet
- Adult Educators get a step-by-step breakdown of the challenges involved
in introducing the Internet to adult learners. Topics include web
tools for instruction and interaction, guidelines for course development,
and advice for avoiding problems and pitfalls.
- Distance Education
- The Clearinghouse is a compilation of national and international
information related to distance teaching and distance learning. Of
particular interest are the sections on library support and on teaching
Library Services for Distance Learning: The Fourth Bibliography
- This online source is a continuation of three earlier print bibliographies
covering library services for distance learners. The bibliography
contains both print and web resources. Citations include abstracts.
Chapter 7 covers information literacy and web-based instruction. One
especially useful article is "Developing
Library Instruction for Distance Learning" (http://www.mtsu.edu/~itconf/proceed01/24.pdf).
- LOEX Clearinghouse
for Library Instruction
- LOEX, the Library Orientation Exchange, is a non-profit clearinghouse
for library instruction materials. Included on this website is information
on tutorials, class syllabi and assignments, evaluating Web resources,
tutorials, virtual library tours, electronic classrooms, teaching
sites, organizations, conferences, and journals.
Library Services Conference
- The Off-Campus Library Services Conference is an international conference
of librarians, administrators, and educators who meet to discuss library
services and instructional support to adult distance learners. This
website provides information on upcoming conferences as well as previous
conferences. Included are some article pdf files, presenters' PowerPoint
slides, and information on ordering printed copies of conference proceedings.
with Technology Collaboratory – Distance Teaching
- This website was produced by the Worchester Polytechnic Institute
Academic Technology Center. It contains useful information on various
aspects of teaching online courses. Especially helpful are "Tips for
Teaching Adult Students Online" and "Characteristics of Distance Learning